#144HoursOfCode D39

Submitted about 2 years ago

July 27th, 2018 (1:20pm - 2:41pm, 3:35pm - 4:36pm)

Progress
* Continued work on refactoring Pegacorn Code
* Fixed resumé link so that it isn't relative

Thoughts
Today I worked on refactoring some of the Pegacorn Project's code, specifically the code that watches the chat wait time which uses websockets and a different Zendesk API than other files in the Pegacorn Project. I worked on a method that would try the call a certain number of times and then give up, and decided this was really good practice for a few reasons:
* I had worked on a similar problem recently in the Poncho project in Go (for which I used a separate library to help with the retries instead of writing it myself)
* It's something I imagine I'll need to use a lot (retrying an API call a certain number of times if it doesn't work successfully the first time)
* Because of my prior experience it was something I partially had a plan for but didn't have all the way figured out how to solve
* I found it difficult and want to have a plan and find it easier to implement in the future!

I didn't get it working while I coded today, but I'll get it and the practice is only making me a better developer.

Steven Universe characters theme song gif

I also found a bug on my site in which clicking the link to my resumé from within a blog post resulted in an error, so I went in and chnged the link in the routing so that it wasn't relative. I figured out what was wrong pretty immediately, and had two feelings about it:
1. I wish I would have thought of this when I coded it that way! I didn't even think about this possible outcome!
2. I'm glad that I was able to figure out what the issue was quickly, and get it fixed up!

Commits
* https://gitlab.com/twoesplease/pegacorn_project/commit/1ce8d1638f18d6bfc32ed949aa5783999dfd9e52
* https://gitlab.com/twoesplease/personal_site_blog/commit/30da8008871eef6771e90c69756d6f4f4a50f85d

0 Comments

Add a comment: