#144HoursOfCode D19

Submitted over 2 years ago

(11am - 1pm, 2pm - 5:45pm, 9:30 - 10pm)

Progress
* Uploaded a slightly updated resumé to my personal site
* Pushed a security fix that Heroku required
* Updated flow of Poncho app so that users receive requested data and then get the opportunity to request more data

Thoughts
I started the day with a quick update to my resumé and was surprised to find that my push was rejected because Heroku required an update to the Sprockets gem to fix a security vulnerability. The details I needed to fix the vuln were returned in a message from Heroku on the command line, but I later saw an email about it in my inbox as well.

I also spent a couple of hours or two adding an IsUserDone function to my Poncho app and allowing users to request more weather data after their original request. I got the flow of this wrong at first so that questions weren't being asked to the user in the correct order, but I got that fixed up. Part of this fix required that I move a function to a separate package and call it from there, which was a new experience for me. I may end up having to move more functions out to separate packages as well in order to better control the order that my functions are called - right now it looks like they pretty much get run in order from top to bottom in the main package. I was originally expecting code from just the main function to run and to be able to control the flow that way, but I was wrong about that.

Most of today's coding, however, was spent on something I thought would be straightforward and would take less time - adding error handling so that if users enter invalid location data, they'll receive an error message and will be prompted to try again. A couple of issues I've run into with that include that the response received from Google's Geocoding API is a 200 even if the location data is invalid & an issue with converting the type of the JSON output to a string. Where I'm stuck now is that I'm getting an error Unexpected end of JSON input for the JSON response that I'm receiving from the Geocoding API. I'm curious if this has to do with rate limiting, but I don't believe that I'm putting a ton of strain on the API so I'm not confident that's it. Being stuck on this problem has been frustrating today, and I'm pretty sure it's contributed to me feeling like I'm behind in my learning of developer concepts in general & like there is so much that I should already know but don't. I also wanted to be able to add more types of weather data that users could request today, but ran out of time. I really wanted to be able to figure this out today, but alas I must go to bed and get ready to head to WeRise tomorrow! Of course, I'll update more here as I continue investigating.

Currently, I'm up to 52.35 hours total on the #144HoursOfCode challenge, which is 4 hours ahead of where I wanted to be by the end of the week. I'd like to maintain that lead throughout the challenge if possible, since I know that the more time I spend the more I'll learn.

Commits
Here are today's commits:
* https://github.com/twoesplease/personal_site_blog/commit/47480be533dc11b413f819805227335d34e56742
* https://github.com/twoesplease/personal_site_blog/commit/7777defb8c83888f5684ade63881fe40d7b66028
* https://github.com/twoesplease/poncho/commit/13172dcf00d08eafe912c0d8549d67c2a5abbf73

0 Comments

Add a comment: