#AtHomeBootCamp D2

Submitted over 3 years ago

(8:15pm - 10:30pm)

Progress
* Got my dev environment finally working by uninstalling rbenv and brew linking to the newest version of Ruby, then installing gems to the newest Ruby version
* Fixed the login to my budget app - I was generating a header link based on the current_user variable, which couldn't generate properly if a user wasn't yet logged in. I made it so that link only loads conditionally for logged in users.
* Did my first database calculations at load time in my budget app by showing the user how much they have left to save on a particular budget. This is calculated by subtracting the budget goal by the sum of all the transactions that have been added for that budget.

Thoughts
As you can see, I'm using the #100DaysofCode format for these blog updates as I found it really helpful.

I had an appointment during my lunch break today, so I'll need to be sure to make up an hour at some point this week. That said, I feel like I made good progress in the 2 hours I've been working, especially since I had to spend almost the whole first hour fiddling with my dev environment/Ruby setup again. I tried creating a gemrc file to tell gem env where to look for installed gems, but it was still deferring to the system Ruby version, which was an old one at 2.3 and only had a few gems installed. After some more searching online, I finally decided to uninstall rbenv - I hope that doesn't come back to bite me. After doing that, I tried installing the newest version of Ruby with homebrew. It told me that I already had the latest version installed, and that I just needed to brew link it. Once that was done I restarted iTerm, installed the gems I needed (mostly nokogiri, though I had to install the pristine version) to my latest Ruby version, and I was off! That allowed me to run rails assets:precompile on my blog app so that I could get my little bit of CSS loading properly again.

In my second hour, I got all the work done on my budget app. I removed a file I'd staged for a git commit for possibly the first time, performed calculations on data in a live rails app for the first time to figure out how much a user has left to save, and fixed a pesky issue that was preventing the login page from loading.

Next up on my list to update for my budget app is making it so that login doesn't just direct one to the appropriate user profile, but so that it's actually required to get to any user's profile.

Link to work
Here are today's commits:
* https://github.com/twoesplease/budget-app/commit/c787f6e93978099f9b2d57a49d91492ea6c297cc
* https://github.com/twoesplease/budget-app/commit/c673165254681644b19f2e8ced6885ebb3e12838
* https://github.com/twoesplease/personal_site_blog/commit/228382fa8b92d7b47a828ba5fbbe83c8f636e503

0 Comments

Add a comment: